Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

No pictures for this post. We didn't do a lot for fathers day this year. Amber had to work and summer school started on Monday so she couldn't come down. This year Crystal proved that the best presents don't require a lot of money, just thoughtfulness. She burned me a music CD. That doesn't sound like much does it? Especially if you consider that I already have most of the songs she burned on the disk. However, I think you will change your mind after you read the letter that came with the CD.

To Dad
From Crystal

This is a mix CD of songs that remind me of you. Many of them are songs that you would sing to in the car. Take Me to the River, Money for Nothing, Lullaby, Jewel, etc. Then, of course, there is Diamond on the Soles of Her Shoes.

Some of them are songs that have men with deep voices singing, which makes me think of you for some reason. What a Wonderful World is one of those. Also, I remember it played on the radio one day and after the song was over you said very seriously that you thought that that song is one of the best songs of all time. I always think of you saying that when I hear the song.

Some just have lyrics that remind me of you. Dancing on Daddies Shoes is one of those because of how you’ll often just randomly dance with me. The Killers songs Daddy’s Eyes wouldn’t make me think of you if it weren’t for the line “You know you got your daddy’s eyes.” I have blue eyes like you. The Pink Floyd song Nobody Home makes me think of you because of a memory I have of you pointing out the lyric “I’ve got a strong urge to fly, but I got nowhere to fly to” and saying what a great line that is. I remember I didn’t notice the line when listening to the song, but thinking it was a beautiful lyric after you pointed it out. Now I can’t hear that part of the song without noticing it. The Paul Simon song Father and Daughter makes me think of you because for one, pretty much all Paul Simon songs do, and secondly because of the content of the song. It’s a song about how much a father loves his daughter and how he’ll do anything to protect her. I’m so lucky to have the sort of dad that I can think of when I listen to that song. I don’t even have the words to say how much I appreciate and love you for that.


I should have just handed the letter to Tania so she could read it herself. I tried to read it out loud but could only get about half way throught it.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing your Father's Day Present...what a sweetie Crystal is.

Ruth said...

Seriously, I struggled reading it. I LOVE mix cds! Even better I love that she explained each song, great idea and so simple too.

stevewitten60 said...

Her letter reminds you that it is some of the most simple things that you say to your kids that sticks with them forever.

Crystal said...

:]
I'm really glad you liked it.

Cathy Woodruff said...

wow, what a great present.... what a great daughter! The singing to your girls reminds me of dad singing to us. Thanks for sharing. See ya in a few days.