Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

One of the nice things about living in Thousand Oaks is that Ventura is only a half hour drive North. Old-Town Ventura is a blast to visit. No offense Ruth, but it kicks butt all over Fullerton's and Brea's Old Town. It has all the antique shops and mom & pop restruarants that you would expect out of any Old Town, but it is also over looked by a bueatiful tree-lined hill and has fresh salty air from the beach that is only four blocks away.

On Mother's Day went out for breakfast with my sister inlaw's family (Jenna, Alex, Alec, and Brennen) at cool cafe called My Florist. The prices were very reasonalbe (around $8) and the food was outstanding. I had eggs benedick with Salmon (instead of ham). I don't know why I ordered it, because it is not one of my favorites and more importantly, eggs benedick is a very dangerous item to order. You never know what you're going to get. A lot of places really destroy hollendaise sauce, making it either way to heavy or sweat. Their sauce had a slight spicy bite to it - very cool. It was also served on bruschetta to give it that fancy touch. Tania and Crystal both had the Belgium waffles with scrambled eggs. I don't know what they did to the eggs, but they were delicious.

To top the meal off, two gentlemen provided music playing guitar and violin. All in all, it was a very nice meal. I would recommend My Florist to any of you when you visit Ventura. It is on Oak, one block South of Main Street.

After breakfast we took a short stroll along Main Street browsing in the shops and art galleries. Tania found a jewerly making shop/bead store. Crystal and I kicked back at a small cafe for a glass of tea so Tania could take as long as she wanted.

Nice Mother's Day. We really don't go up to Ventura enough.

2 comments:

heather said...

i don't think i've EVER been to old town ventura. sounds fun! ryan & i went 20 minutes away to old town claremont for our 5 year anniversary and loved it. it's amazing what you can find if you just look close to home.

Jay and JoAnn said...

DANG! Put a hat on Tania and you'd have twins. Gorgeous girls! Thanks for post on Ventura. I promised Mary, Jerry's daughter that if she passed all of her classes, I'd take her on a day outing. I was thinking about Solvang, but Old downtown Ventura just took a place in the running and not so far. Any other great ideas for a day trip? JoAnn my blog is www.jayjoanngarlock.blogspot.com