Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Another Amber Visit

The best part about having your children away for college is having come back home for a visit. Amber called on Tuesday and said she didn’t have to work this weekend so she was going to drive home for a visit. She left Thursday afternoon and was able to stay until Sunday morning.

It was nice to spend some time with her. She was having trouble with a couple of papers she needed to write for sociology so I proofed them for her and gave her a little advice on her writing style. A big part of my job is writing reports and over the years I have gotten better and better at it. I still suck at spelling and grammar. And I frequently change tense (past & presence) when I shouldn’t but I have people proof for those types of things. What I am pretty good at is figuring out how to organize the topic and lead to point. I’m not saying I’m great, but we’ll see how well Amber’s professor thinks I am. It felt nice to be helpful.

An extra bonus for this weekend was that Amber and Crystal really got along well. They never really fight much, but over the past few years they have kind of drifted apart in terms of being friends. This weekend they seemed like friends again. They spent a lot more time talking one-on-one than they usually do.

Dan and Barbara drove up from Orange County on Saturday and Alex, Jenna and kids came over also. I cooked up a turkey and we had a nice dinner enjoyed each others company.

Brennen performed in a play in Pasadena a few weeks ago (on the same day Max was baptized). It was a competition where the kids had to write the play themselves and make all the costumes and sets themselves also. I think it is called odyssey of the mind. They get judged on a lot of different attributes of the play. They ran into a few problems with some of their props and one of the kids skipped a whole section of the play. They were very disappointed with themselves but they still managed to win second place. Now they get to go to the state finals in Sacramento next month. If they were able to win second place with all the mess ups, who knows how well they will do next time if they can get through it error free.

No comments: