Saturday, January 24, 2009

Acai Berry

Has any heard of the acai berry?

I guess Operah Winfrey drinks it and talked about it on her show.

Has anyone tired it?
I have a friend who used to work with me at JDPA. She became a full time mom after having her second child but is still friends with many of us at work. She now sells Monavie which is a juice made primarily of the acai berry. She has tried to get me to try it but I have always ignored her.

One of Tania’s doctors is having take super doses of vitamins. The doctor also wanted her to start drinking acai berry juice twice a day. I thought if a doctor is telling Tania to take it maybe I should look into this a little more.

The acai berry comes from the acai Palm tree which is a tall and slender and grows in South American (Brazil). The acai berry is a dense source of anthocyanins and has the highest amount of antioxidant properties, is higher than any other edible berry on the planet. I guess this makes it good for you? If you go online you will see a lot claims of what it can help from weight loss to depression to muscle aches and joint pain.

Unfortunately, the juice doesn’t come cheap. It cost anywhere between $18 - $45 a bottle. The cheaper brands contain mostly water, while the more expensive brands contain more acai berry juice than any other ingredient. Costco sells an it at $18, but it is mostly water.

We bought a bottle at a vitamin store. It taste like medicine and is very gritty. I also called my friend and she brought over a couple of bottles of the Monavie brand that she sells. It is about $40 a bottle but she gave me a couple for free to try. The Monavie brand taste much better is suppose to have a lot more things in it to make it better.

Tania and I are both going to try it out. We’ll let you know what we think.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Scott Loves acai!(and oprah) He gets the acai smoothie at jamba.

The Eddington's Experiences said...

It's suppose to work wonders... My mom sales it... and my parents both drink it...

heather said...

when I worked at jamba juice there were people who came in every day for an acai smoothie & swore by it. it's pretty good.

Beth said...

I have heard of it but I thought it was just the latest snake oil potion...let me know if it works.

I tried a shot of the Monavie a couple of months ago and thought it tasted a little strong. If it wasn't so expensive I might of bought a bottle...anything that says it will help you loose weight I usually will try.

My last buy was this dark chocolate that made all the same promises that Monavie made...it is a cure all. But most important it was suppose to help you curve your appetite.

It tastes great but it didn't help me eat less. I think it made me just want to eat more chocolate.

stevewitten60 said...

If you think the Monavie taste strong you should try the brand we got at the vitamin store -- cough syrup! I am going to try it for a month and see what happens.

Unknown said...

There's this yummy Brazilian restaurant by my house that has what they call an "Acai Bowl". It's acai berries and juice made into a thick smoothie with strawberries, bananas, and granola. It's taste like an amazing fruity parfait. I'd recommend trying to recreate it.