Wednesday, September 9, 2009

25 Wonderful Years

Facebook really kills the motivation to blog. I am way behind on the blog updates. So much has happened since my last post I am not sure where to start. Should I just leave out all the things I meant to blog about but never got around to, or do I just jump into what I did yesterday (which was Tania and my 25 year anniversary).

I completely procrastinated on blogging about moving Crystal into her dorm. It was 98 degrees the day we moved her in. 95 degrees in San Fransisco only occurs on days when you are moving. Lucky for my back a helpful college student carried the majority of boxes up the stairs for us. I guess it helps to have a cute daughter. Crystal's roommate is VERY quite and I think more shy than Crystal. She is from Georgia and flew in by herself. While Crystal had four suite cases of clothes, her roommate only had one suite case and a back pack. That included clothes, bedding, towles and four three ring binders. I'm not sure how that poor girl will avoid freezing over the winter.

All-in-all my back held up extremely well on the trip - the car ride up, moving in, walking ALL over the city, sleeping on a cheap bed in a crummy motel in Santa Cruz, and the ride home. Matter of fact, my back has been in "low-pain" mode ever since I booked my surgery (which is two weeks away). That's the way it usually goes, right? Now what do I do?

While in Santa Cruz I was sitting at a stop light at a major intersection when a guy walking across the street got hit by a truck going about 30 - 40 miles an hour. I was the third car in line and wasn't paying attention so I didn't see it happen. The thud sound (not a thump, nor a bang, but a thud) made me look up in time to see someone rolling over the top of the hood of a red truck. His tennis shoe when flying. He ended up in the center devider, while his shoe was three lanes away on the sidewalk. Yep, I saw someone get knocked right out of his shoes. Well, at least one of them any ways.

The first thing I did was try to call 911. I say try because I got a message that the curcuits were busy. Our great 911 system at work. I am CPR certified so I got out of the car to see if he needed my help. I am not sure if he was knocked out at first or not but he started moving a little once I got to him. A couple of other people were already standing around him but they, like me weren't really sure what to do. His hands and face were bloody and he had a three inch chunk of skin missing from his hip. While their was a pretty good size puddle of blood, he wasn't bleeding profusely from any where. He tried to get up a few times but we kept him still until the ambulance arrived. Unfortunately, he didn't speak English so it took a little effort to get him to understand us. Being that I really didn't see how it happen, I left once the police and emergancy crews arrived. I was suppose to be picking up some breakfast for Tania who was waiting at the motel.

Since we spent the prevoius weekend up North, our Labor Day was pretty quite. Oh, also the fact that Drew stood us up in terms of coming down for the weekend also helped keep the weekend quite. I cooked some beef and pork ribs up on Sunday. They were slightly over done (I think I was the only one who noticed) but they were the most tender, meat-falling-off-the-bone ribs I have ever made. Drew missed out.

Tuesday was our anniversary. While we were trying to figure out what to do on the big day we noticed that August: Osage County was opening in LA on that day. Best of all, second row seats were still available. We were so close, smoke got in my eyes when the main character lite a cigerette. Tania wasn't sure about the play because she prefers musicals but I must say it was one of the best plays I have ever seen. I would list it somewhere between four and six in the play ranking. And yes, Tania agreed.

To beat the traffic into the city we decided to get there early and get pedicures and have dinner. My first pedicure ever, but I figured if Aaron could do it my masculinity would stay intack.

The only bad part of the night was the speeding ticket on the way. Oh well, nothing traffic school won't remove off the record.

Well, there is the summary of what should have been three or four seperate posts. Tommorrow I leave for Detriot on a business trip. Hopefully, my back will continue on low-pain mode.

1 comment:

Beth said...

happy 25 years! Wow! it seems like yesterday!

I cannot believe it was in the 90's in San Fran?!! I have been there in the middle of summer several times...it always in the 60's and I FREEZE! I know they make a killing selling those cheap sweatshirts because no one is prepared for the cold except for the people who live there.

Hot weather seems to follow you around the world on all your trips.

That's crazy about your back...let's see what happens on this trip to Detroit